Monday, January 7, 2008

Steebe does Retail...

One day of retail work down, many more to go...

After working one day in retail, I truly believe that retail experience is a crucial part of anyone's social development, one that I missed. This invaluable experience teaches you how to interact with people (often making conversations over nothing), make decisions on the fly, lie convincingly, use persuasive reasoning, develop a phone persona and multi-task effectively. One should definitely not go 28 years without some sort of this experience.

That said, I have to say I had a good first day, slowly learning my way around the register. It's one of those interfaces that use "function keys" to navigate through different screens. What happened to the interface that uses the mouse to move between fields?

I sold quite a bit of merchandise as well - 2 backpacks, half a dozen sleeping bags, a rain jacket, other assorted items and I almost sold a $500 tent (quite the up-sell). Unfortunately, the customer left saying he'd return "tomorrow" after sleeping on it. I'm not working today to complete the sale if he does come back. Oh well, it doesn't really matter, as we're not paid on a commission basis.

Tomorrow, I return to work and learn how to open and close the store, and I'll be damned if I'm going to let some function keys stand in the way of me figuring out the inventory/ordering system.

~S

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So that's what my life has been missing...retail experience.

Anonymous said...

Then there's the other kind of retail experience: waitressing/waitering! There is truly nothing like it. Don't miss the chance to work in a coffee shop or down scale restaurant. What people order, don't eat, complain about, and expect to get for their $3.00 id phenomenal.
B